To mark the anniversary of the outbreak of the First World War, Hungary’s Museum of Military History will set up a new permanent exhibition on the subject, while another exhibition will sail along the River Danube, Defence Minister Csaba Hende told a press conference on Friday.
There are plans to set up a third exhibition in railway carriages to tour the war’s fronts. Tours will take place on the western front in 2016 and the eastern one in 2017, Hende added.
The minister said the events of WWI had had a serious impact on life in Hungary, referring to the Trianon Peace Treaty, which concluded the war in 1920 and ceded two-thirds of Hungary’s territory to neighbouring countries, as well as the ideologies of bolshevism and fascism, which he said were rooted in that treaty.
Hende noted that over 660,000 Hungarian soldiers had died, were injured or were taken prisoner of war “leaving no Hungarian family unaffected by that historic disaster”.
Hende said that compilation of the names of victims was under way, and noted that the original lists had been destroyed in the 1950s. So far, he said, over 100,000 Hungarian names have been identified in Austria’s archives, which will be published on the Hungarian defence ministry’s website.